Geography Curriculum Overview
'Geography is the study of Earth's landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live.' Royal Geographical Society.
Geography tackles the BIG issues! The Geography Department tries to help students make sense of the world they live in, of what they hear and see, and what they read about the world in their everyday lives. Geography provokes and answers questions about natural and human environments. This subject provides an excellent means for investigating contemporary issues in such environments at both global and local scale. We encourage students to be interested in the world around them.
Studying Geography at The Grangfield Academy enables our students to recognise:-
· The places and communities in which we live and work.
· Our natural environments and the pressures that they face.
· The interdependence of the world and our communities within it.
· The importance of location in our personal and business decision-making.
· Ways the world is changing.
· How as an individual and as a society we contribute to these changes.
· The choices that exist in managing our world for the future.
Geography is a popular subject at GCSE. We study the syllabus for AQA GCSE Geography B; this focuses on geographical issues and challenges and how these affect our world. There are two examinations at the end of the course. Plus we complete our controlled assessments one fieldwork based and one issue investigation.
We study: - Managing Coastal Environments and Managing urban environments. Investigating Global Tourism and Hostile World (volcanoes, earthquakes, wildfires and tropical storms).